Saturday, May 15, 2010

heh...i'm smarter than i thought!

so, i confess, i used to read O Magazine with the best of them. the pearls of wisdom i could glean from people like Martha Beck are just indispensable. but, in the last few years, i've had less and less time for reading, so i allowed my subscription to lapse in favor of spending my reading time with novels or storybooks.

one of the best books i've read in years is Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. the power and thrill of starting over (okay, not as drastically as the author did) was invigorating. the idea of tending to all the basic parts of me: body, soul, heart and claiming my life as my own...by owning the real me...was, and still is, intoxicating. Gilbert assured me that i can be who i am and be really, really happy...but i have to know me to accomplish that. (haven't read the book? go get it. get it NOW)

anyway, yesterday i wrote a post about our tendency as women (moms especially) to beat ourselves up over things we can't control and over some insane desire to be someone we aren't. apparently i hit a nerve with you, dear ones. i've had more comments and emails over this post than any other i've ever written.

one of you sent a letter asking if i read last month's issue of O. well, no, i haven't. but i followed the link that was sent to me, and i found an article by my dear Elizabeth Gilbert that addresses the very same issue.

i'm smarter than i thought!

here is a link to her article...it's a variation of yesterday's theme. go read it!!

No comments: